1. Can I donate through gifts of stock?
2. Where can I donate to have the greatest impact?
3. How are students chosen to receive scholarship?
4. Can I give to a specific Department/Program such as Jazz, Musical Theatre, Precollege, Etc.,?
5. Can I donate a musical instrument?
6. Can I donate sheet music or recordings?
7. I have MSM Memorabelia. Can I donate it?
8. How do I leave MSM in my WIll and Testament?
9. What is the difference between an endowed gift and an annual gift?
10. What is the mailing address for making a donation?
Yes, Manhattan School of Music accepts donations of stock or wire transfer. To make a stock or wire transfer donation, please e-mail MSM at firstname.lastname@example.org or (917) 493-4490, for bank routing numbers and transfer details.
The donations with the broadest impact are to the annual fund, which supports general operating activities, student scholarships, and faculty support. However, we highly encourage donors to support what they feel most passionate about. MSM provides opportunities to give by department, program, directly to scholarships, or a number of capital campaign initiatives for facilty upgrades. To learn more please contact Adam Arango, Assistant Director of Advancement, by phone at (917) 493-4595 or by email at email@example.com.
Manhattan School of Music provides both need and merit scholarships based on faculty recommendations and financial aid needs. Donors may restrict giving to scholarships for students of a particular instrument, discipline, or geography (I.E. a Musical Theatre Student, Trombone player, Graduating Senior, or International Student), but may not restrict funds based on religion, race, or sexual orientation.No scholarship donor may have a say in who is chosen as scholarship recipients as it is unlawful and against MSM policy to do so.
Yes. In our online giving form there are options to give to several departments in the 'area of support' field. If you do not see what you are looking for you select 'other' and write in your designated support area. To find out more please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
5. Can I donate a musical instrument?We do accept piano's, but have a need only for pianos in great working condition and able to withstand a strenous workload of student musicians playing on them for 10+ hours a day. In general we have found Steinway piano's to be our best match and are only accepting donations of Steinway pianos. Exceptions may apply if the piano is in exceptional condition.
All other instruments are subject to an inspection by the corresponding faculty of the instrument in question. They must be of very high quality to be considered. If you think this applies to you please contact Assistant Director of Advancement, Adam Arango, by e-mail email@example.com.
For all instrumental donations - once the donor and MSM have agreed to accept the instrument, the donor must acquire an independent appraisal of the instrument to find the Fair Market Value. Once the instrument has been donated to MSM, we will provide a gift receipt for your donation in-kind for the Fair Market Value of the instrument. You will then be able to write it off as a charitable tax deduction.
We are currently not accepting donations of sheet music or recordings at this time due.
If you think you may have items of interest such as old photographs, yearbooks, programs, etc., please contact John Blanchard, Institutional Historian and Director of Archives, by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Planned gifts/bequest gifts include everything from naming MSM in your will to contributing charitable gifts annuities and securities. For more detailed information visit MSM's Planned Giving page, or contact Brian Dailey at email@example.com, or (917) 493-4469.